Sunday, May 23, 2010

Ana Božičević, On Reading



"I'm a little dysfunctional as a reader. I sometimes find it hard to read. Existential or trivial thoughts intrude and unstick the eyes from the page. Or I feel the urge to look at my phone. It happens without effort and then: regret. Amy King gave me a book to read called Creative Reading by Ron Padgett. I think this book will help me with my problems, if I can keep my eyes on it. Another thing that happens is: I read a few lines of poetry and then I want to write. It feels joyous but rude, like interrupting someone mid-sentence: 'Yes! I also....' Or I question whether a book/poem I'm reading is really necessary. So why don't I question whether a leaf or a day is necessary? Why is a book/poem any different? I did question whether leaves are necessary at one point, and that's a road you don't want to go down. It's a dark road. If you actually want to live, write and read, it's a mistake to think of a book/poem as a premeditated act, I have to keep reminding myself. People just sing. It's OK. I can just listen. It's fine."

{
Ana Božičević is the author of Stars of the Night Commute (Tarpaulin Sky Press). Visit her website here.}

No comments:

Post a Comment